8.08.2013

We're Here!

We are still working out network kinks, and won't be fully technologically competent until at least Robert has a resident's permit, but thanks to new friends, we have something workable in the villa and wifi, if needed, at the compound clubhouse.

So, a briefing...

We left Houston Monday night to fly 14.5 hours across the world (and over the Tigris River, you have NO idea how cool I thought that was!) to be picked up from the airport a full day later and dropped off at our villa.  None of us had seen Qatar in person but after 2 years of research, the place looked remarkably familiar. 

We arrived at our villa which is comfortably furnished and stocked with what in someone's mind are basic dietary needs.  We went grocery shopping yesterday :)

The villa is a great space, the compound is quiet and safe for the kids to easily navigate on their own and the pool is ridiculous.

We attended our first Iftar, the meal when Muslims break their fast in the evening, on the last day of Ramadan.  It was the first chance to meet work people and for the kids, the first chance to be fancy pants.  My super taster was less then impressed, my "eat everything" enjoyed his first lamb chop, my "stick to the basics" is on a roll after his accidental order of crab on the plane and has become an overnight foodie, and the baby slept.  We let him.

Today's to-do's:

    Swim
    Get dryer fixed...again
    Swim
    Go to ikea to get little step stools so teethbrushing for 3 of the littles can happen a bit tidier
    GO OUT TO EAT! WooHoo end of RAMADAN!
    Swim
    Uh, hang out, maybe play the wii that I set up at 4am 'cause I'm still jetlagging a bit
    Swim
    Dinner (after playing supermarket sweep I'm pretty sure I accumulated the fixin's for taco salad)
    Swim (did I mention it's 24 hours)

Being Taxi dependent (again, have to wait on an RP before our existence here is recognized) means we have a pretty laid back life right now.  I'm enjoying it while it lasts.  At some point (school starting) things will get crazy again and I'll be running like a mad woman.  I hope my family is enjoying my sanity.  I make no promises as to the duration of it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment