6.08.2010

Rotten Banana

I've decided that I just love kindergarten. Why? Because it's just so darn amusing. I love how after spending just a few minutes having lunch with Trey's class I know the happenings of every child's family, who has the most checks by their name, and how many times they had to put their heads down. Nowhere else can so much information be obtained at such lightening quick speed. They are bold and bright and completely lacking any quantitative amount of verbal filtering.

A story...

A few weeks back I ventured outside my normal spectrum of t-shirt colors and showed up in Trey's class wearing a bright yellow shirt. It was cute. Bright, I admit, but it's summer.

"Mom, next time you wear that shirt you should wear yellow pants so then you'll look like a banana!"
"Ya Mrs. Ricker! You could be a banana!"
"Well Mrs. Ricker, you look like half a banana now!"

Darling.

Fun in the sun day was the last week of school. Each grade was assigned a color to wear. Kindergarten wore yellow.

I showed up in Trey's class wearing a brown top and denim skirt- no yellow on me.

"Ha! You all look like a bunch of bananas! A whole class full of bananas!"

18 voices nearly in unison as if they all had been waiting for an excuse to mock me:

"You look like a rotten banana!"

My comeback?

"I can make good banana bread. I'm allergic to all of you!"

And the win goes to the unruly 5 year olds.

Watch it wee ones or no summer play dates at the Ricker house for you!


No comments:

Post a Comment