1.22.2010

1 Year

Today our baby Jack turns 1!

This post needs to be in 3 parts. Trust me.

Part 1: Happy Birthday to Our Little Sunshine

Nothing has made us laugh even on our bluest days like this little boy.
He loves bananas and 'Super Why'.
He lets me rock him to sleep at church.
He laughs when he does something he knows he's not supposed to.
He can play hide and seek with Bailey long enough to let me get stuff done.
He loves plastic cups. In large quantities. All over the kitchen floor.
He will eat just about anything and when he gets tired of eating he paints his high chair tray, and styles his hair, with his food.
He yelps, then laughs, when any of his siblings start whining.

Part 2: Congratulations!

Jack is so #5 (clearly not our first child)
We have seven house plants that sit on the floor in various rooms. He has tasted all of them. He eats crayons. Why? Because his older siblings have learned that by giving him crayons to, um, admire the color of, he leaves alone the 8.3 billion tiny legos that flood our upstairs floor. While in utero 'he' accidentally ingested his brother's steroids. He loves to play with cans he scavenges from the recycle bin. And blind cords. And the vacuum. While it's on. He is taken out of his crib and carried down the stairs every morning by Tyler. He is enrolled in "walking" class taught by highly energetic Trey. He is a multipurpose, interactive stuffed animal to Bailey. He is thoroughly loved and enjoyed by all, even the neighbor kids.

So, congratulations my little ironclad. You've survived your first year! (sporting only a small scar on your cherry cheek)

Part 3: A Blessing

We always talked about 4 kids. After Bailey we knew we were done. 4 felt right. We felt complete. We had not the slightest inclination to have another baby, and then I started seeing him. Yep, silently looking at me like "hello, I'm waiting..." After fasting and praying we knew our family was missing Jack. Not just someone, or a puppy, but Jack. I was pregnant the next month, 3 months before Peyton was diagnosed. I admit I questioned the timing of it all but like always quickly recognized the blessing it was. We have 3 very independent, capable children whom, if necessary, could make it through a day (or 3) with nothing more from me then a kiss and a back scratch each night before bed. This little boy makes me suck it up, get out of bed, quit whining and do something productive, you know, like sweep or make breakfast and all the other "mom" stuff. He's the equivalent of a drill sergeant for me. He makes me work when I flat out don't want to. Unlike any buzzed head, whistle blowing, assault rifle wielding military man, Jack does it with his bright blue Bambi eyes and ridiculously silly, toothy grin. He is such a cool kid.


9 comments:

  1. That is the awesomest post, Jenna! Happy bday JAck!! What a great mom you have!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Jack man!!!! Uncle Jared and I love you SOOO much!!! And way to go Jenna :) You guys are AMAZING parents that I look up to and admire and try to be more like :)Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, one year old! What a cute dude...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, Jack! We love you too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baby Jack was born to bring you comfort and so much joy! He will continue to help you in your journey. Oh the healing these sweet babies bring to mothers who are grieving. I think of you daily and am praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know Mima Loca is in Heaven at this time. She has been looking forward to seeing you all. Gosh, I can see her now at the celebration.
    Feliz Cumpleanos Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Jack! He is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this little guy is a cutie! love the hair! your kids are a scream. we love reading your blog. auntie e

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday Jack. I love reading this post. Your a great writer perhaps a few childrens books in your future? Too cute I love how he gets you to do "work"? I need him here at our house.

    ReplyDelete