2.04.2010

The Afterlife Re-Written

A brief history lesson of sorts...

The Ancient Egyptians believed that after death, the spirit made a journey to the afterlife.
This was no easy task. Lots of tests. Lots of stuff to know.

During this journey, the soul met with the heart-weighing Anubis...

The outcome was recorded by Thoth...

If found worthy, the soul was welcomed into the underworld by Isis...

The end.

See. Brief. Borderline painfully brief. But you get the idea.

In an attempt to indoctrinate my offspring, I lovingly provide toys and books that foster an interest in my interest. What can I say? I need some dig buddies.

We've got a small collection of Egyptian figures. Bailey enjoys them. I'm not convinced it's because of their historical significance.

The Journey to the Afterlife According to Bailey
(Pictures taken from another room by my fabulously zoomable camera. Semi-sadly, these were completely unstaged. Well, except the last one)...

Thoth and Anubis meet with Isis to be wed...

Isis is so excited for them and gives them a hug...

Thoth and Anubis tie the knot and lovingly kiss...

Guests start arriving for the big reception...

And get ready to dance. In a line. Yee!Haw!...

So, judging by all this I might be led to believe she's leaning towards studying the history of, um, weddings, parties, or perhaps even choreography. My guess is her specialization will end up being something like the history of fierce, sparkly, peep-toe pumps. She does like her some cute sassy shoes!

I just need to hook her up with Cleopatra. That'll win her over!

*** Update (9 hours after above post)***
Just this morning I walked into my bedroom to find nearly all of the pillows in our house lined up slightly overlapping so they all stood upright.

"Mom! I made the Great Wall of China!"

Ah!Ha! I am getting through to her! She may just be the only 4 year old with any knowledge of the Ming Dynasty.

Now if I could only get her to remember things like where she left the super glue...

4 comments:

  1. This is so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's quite a step up from her princess collection. You really need to check out Susan Wise Bauers' 'Story of the World' - absolutely perfect read aloud of ancient history. Trust me - you'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenna - Where oh where did you score those sweet figurines! I'm thinking I really need those. It's the history major in me that's saying that. :) So fun! That was one of my favorite sections while teaching. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved reading this too cute and how many 4 year olds even know about the Great Wall of China..............good job. Love the Egyptian figurines too and the story.

    ReplyDelete