3.22.2010

A while back I sat in the gym of a local church. We were there for basketball evaluations. Tyler went first. He was timed on his dribbling and his shots from various points on the court were recorded. This is all done in the attempt to balance teams.

Next it was Peyton's turn. He was nervous. He'd played the previous season which began while he was still on chemo. It was tough, but he really enjoyed it. He never made a basket.

First he did his timed dribbling. He did alright. Well enough to not feel embarrassed. Next was shooting. I could tell by the look on his face he was a bit worried. He shot a few balls and didn't even come close. Then a ball hit the rim. His eyes widened, he grabbed the ball, and shot. It went in. He immediately looked over at me with a stifled grin. I could tell he was about to explode. Heck, I was about to explode. I remember the quiet little thanks I gave right then to my Heavenly Father. I was SO happy for Peyton. He had been so healthy for so long and we were so excited that he would get to play another season of basketball.

That was just 5 months ago.

I'm not sure why but I've thought about this so much lately. His beautiful little body running on the court and the serene look on his round little face. We had no idea that just weeks later he would be unable to walk.

5 months ago


The more I look back on the events of the last year and a half, the more I'm able to see the miracles we witnessed. I am truly grateful for the knowledge I have that my little boy is safe and well. I know he was blessed beyond measure as he endured his illness. I realize more each day what an honor and blessing it is to be his family. I am so grateful that our separation is only temporary.

4 comments:

  1. How blessed we are to know that the separation is only temporary (but oh, how you must miss him)! I think of you often. Love to you and your special family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing! You are such an example to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jenna, I think of you often and this was such a sweet post! YAY for making a basket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How awesome it is to be able to draw upon those memories and know that they were real and that he loved life.

    ReplyDelete