12.17.2009

10 years...

10 years ago today we knelt across the alter in the Dallas Temple and were married and sealed for time and all eternity.

There are times it seems like just yesterday, and times it seems like forever ago.

Now more than ever I am grateful for sacred covenants we made that allows our family to be together forever. I never thought a ten year period could be so eventful.

So, ten of my favorite things about our marriage:

1. Betting on college bowl games, NCAA tournament, and golf majors. On the line? Nothing but pride and bragging rights. I go for the team with the cuter mascot, Robert the team with the best record and we always come out pretty even.

2. In-house dates once the kids are in bed. Chili's is so much tastier eaten on the couch in p.j.s while watching a movie.

3. Our tolerance, and even mild amusement, for each other's favorite shows (Oh, Robert likes Glee. He just won't ever admit it!)

4. We can get competitive over anything. Tucking kids in bed, folding clothes, number of pictures the kids draw us, who's name Jack says first (it's "dad" of course, just like the rest of the little ingrates!)...

5. If we're somewhere together in separate cars we always end up racing home. I mean, really racing (man we're bad examples for the kids sometimes! They love this game too!)

6. We do the chores each other despises.

7. Our discussions about my school work. Engineers and Archaeologists have very different opinions on the significance (or lack there of) of historical events. I like knowing what he thinks about the stuff I study (even if he's wrong).

8. Our discussions about Robert's work. Engineers and Archaeologists have very different opinions on the logistics of "take all of your kids to work day/week". (Alright, maybe that one's more dads vs. moms). I like knowing what he's up to.

9. Preparing talks or lessons together for church. We always find each other the best quotes and scriptures.

10. Robert is in the bishopric at church so on Sundays he sits on the stand (childless) and I sit down on a pew (childfull). No, this is not the liking part of #10. What I do love about this is whenever one of our kids whispers something not so whisper-like (perhaps a commentary on the taste of the Sacrament bread, for example), or Jack starts laughing hysterically at Trey smacking himself, or Bailey calling for the 17 year old boy she's going to marry, Robert gets the sweetest grin on his face. At first I thought he was just entertained by the circus that is our family. But he gets the grin on his face even when the kids are behaving remarkably well. Little moments like these show me how much he loves and appreciates me.
We've now made it through the hardest time of our lives together. Eternity should be a breeze.



11 comments:

  1. What a tender week for you and Rob. You are right, now more than ever do you realize the magnitude and blessings of your eternal marriage. Our prayers are with you. We will see you in Humble on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you guys. Happy Anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary you guys! We're almost to 3 and I'm not sure that I can find 3 things that I like about our marriage so far....oh just playing! We have almost 3 kids, so that's 3 right there. I don't even need to think lol. I love you and Robert and all of your kids so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary!!!! What an eloquent post! You guys are so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on 10 years! I am sure the time just flew by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary to you both!! And I giggled at the image of y'all racing home :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dear girl, you are very special. Thank you for making me a better person.
    Love you both and congratulations. You are too cute.

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh, so sweet! I have always thought you two were perfect for each other... Happy 10th!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, bet you're anxious to see what the next ten will bring. thanks for reminding me that a sense of humor, a sense of gratitude, a sense of perspective and most of all a sense of the sacred goes a long way toward finding a sense of true happiness. congratulations! you're both awesome! auntie e

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOOOh the big "10". Congratulations!!! Let me know when we can watch the kids for an actual date night, that does not include your pj's.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! And I agree about the Chili's tasting better at home than at the restaurant. :) Happy days to you guys!

    ReplyDelete