12.31.2009

Pictures Worth Way More Than a Thousand Words

It's now been two weeks since Peyton died. I don't yet have the words to describe or even the clarity to fully make sense of what it is like without our little boy. I find I'm often torn between trying to remember so I won't ever forget, and not trying to think about him being gone so I don't lose it like I imagine I would. Until I figure that one out, I've been working on gathering some of my favorite pictures of Peyton's last weeks.


It all started November 2nd when his P.E. teacher approached me after school and said "Mrs. Ricker, Peyton fell today. He's fine, but we couldn't figure it out. He was standing, and just fell."

6 weeks and 4 hours later he passed away. All of these pictures were taken during those 6 weeks...


Waiting to be on the morning announcements to receive his reading team shirt
The day he was presented his printed book, adopted manatee certificate, and this guy, who he named Nicky. Two of the last pictures we have of Peyton with a natural smile.
Why was he smiling? Because he was hiding under the slide and tossing pebbles onto unsuspecting siblings and cousins as they came down.
A group of clowns volunteered their time and came to Peyton's birthday party. We had been worried about Peyton feeling sad about not being able to do much but these clowns saved the day. Within minutes the 2,327 little kids were all adequately equipped with balloon swords and fabulous apparel. Our last family picture just after Peyton's baptism.
Peyt was baptized on a Sunday just after our regular meetings. He kept asking if it was time yet. He was so excited.
Peyton's P.E. teachers stocked he and Trey (who had long since joined in on the 2nd graders class) with lego sets to work on when the rest of the kids were doing activities he wasn't able to participate in. This time was SO important and special to Trey.After Peyt could no longer attend school I would take him up occasionally to go to class, lunch, the library, music and most often P.E. Why? Because of this ridiculous game...

After this busy day Peyton was exhausted. He was laying on the couch while we worked to get everyone settled and dinner ready. As I walked back and forth for different reasons through our living room I caught bits of what was I realize was a monumental effort to make it over to the duffle bag on our stairs and get suited up in this... I remember how his sweet little body felt at this moment.

9 comments:

  1. I love that last picture...so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precious pictures...what a treasure those are for your family. I too love the last picture...two sweet little boys and their wonderful mother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so fun to see all the sweet moments captured :) Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like he lived life to the fullest. What wonderful pictures to have of your sweet Peyton. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a blessing for Peyton to be surrounded by a family that loves his so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all your pictures and all you have been sharing with us ... still makes me cry of course. You are simply amazing, and you have taught us a lot about love, compassion, caring etc... Love you all, Uncle David & Aunt Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you are able to share these pictures with all of us. Your post took me back to when I held my granddaughter in my arms a little over two years ago. I so worried about forgetting how she smelled, how sweet her little self was and how beautiful her little fingers were and her silly great big clown feet. My biggest fear is forgetting all of that and somehow I'm quickly comforted with things that only we could comprehend. You will sense their presence at those times especially when you are most down. I think that the veil becomes very thin and they are allowed to comfort us. I guess that is why we are admonished to keep journals. I have the blouse I wore that day when saying hello also meant saying goodbye. I pray that in those times when you are most down Peyton's soft angel arms will be felt around you and comfort you. I see more butterflies now than I have ever seen I like to think they are sweet messages from Lucy. I know that I will never see or talk about or read about a manatee forever without thinking of Peyton as well and telling his story. You can honestly say that you have held an angel in your arms. We love you guys and know we too will always remember Peyton and your entire family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those pictures are so sweet. I'm happy you have them for the wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, the picture of you and Robert and Peyton...you look AMAZING!! Not that you normally don't look amazing, but this is a beautiful picture! I love it and I love you guys!! Your pictures are perfect :)

    ReplyDelete